This is how my garden maintenance service teams does it:
- In August/September (beginning of Spring) we start with scarifying the lawn but cutting it very short (almost down to the roots)
- This is followed by aeration, which is done with a spike roller.
- After this either topsoil or lawn dressing is applied. Topsoil is usually applied if the lawn area is uneven.
- The lawn should now be watered regularly, with a deep watering every time.
- After a couple of weeks, the lawn will be a be a lovely deep green colour.
- In October/November and also in April the lawn area should be fertilized with a fertilizer specifically designed for lawns.
- At the beginning of the next spring, the process starts again.